Wednesday 29 August 2012

Hard Times

Dear Diary,

Well, now I have a mountain of other people's junk, and mine own, cluttering up the whole of upstairs. One cannot move for the space that hath been created.

Beside's Fiona the violinists affairs, and the past tenant's affects, it was pleasant to pore through artefacts not yet catagorised or sorted into any semblance of order. I found paintings, charcoals, an old hat, a minidisc recorder, a flatscreen, loads of garments and bed-clothes: to name but a few off the oddly assortment that is my attic, an emporium of a loft, like some giant car-boot sale, frozen in time.

Now is the Hard Time: fasting until Freyasday's bountiful harvest. Aye. Æquinamitate. The Latham family creed: Equinamity. I've been through far tougher times than this. Be thankful for 1) Being alive. and 2) Not being rained on.

If it is true that one "only goes as low as one allows oneself to go" (David, an artist I once knew, he's dead now) and another trueism be taught to me, in the army (cadets) which was a quote from John Barrie, "Once courage is gone, all is lost". Rather, re-phrased "If you think you're beat, then you are beat." So. Given that the power of the mind be unlimited (whereas the power of the body: limited; Ueshiba, The Art of Peace) therefore it stands to reason that having an inflated sense of self, a courageous spirit, and dauntless attitude can only benefit oneself. I am great. Yes. Aristotle was arrogant (one might even say aristocratic) because he knew he was clever. Anyone who is intellectually astute has at least something of an ego. If you've got it... Flaunt it!

On the other hand, there may be something said for humility and idiocy. Being a humble idiot is ... perhaps wise, as I've lost count of the many times I had wish I had been more humble. Fcuk it. That time is passed. It is now time to learn from past mistakes, be humble when necessary, and the rest of the time: just be yourself.

Maximus.